The University of Wisconsin (UW Milwaukee) research team is looking for families of children aged 5-18 years with Down syndrome in the United States to participate. This study is being conducted to determine how much energy children with Down syndrome use daily. This information will help determine how much children with Down syndrome should eat and drink based on age, gender, and activity level.
Who Can Participate?
- Children aged 5-18 years with Down syndrome.
What will you do?
If you participate in this study, you will have a virtual study visit through Zoom with you and your child. You can do this in your home. Appointments are offered during weekdays and weekends. The study visit will take about 5 hours, but you won’t be on the video call the entire time; there will be breaks. During this study visit, we will work with you to do several activities, including:
- Taking simple measurements on your child such as height, weight, and waist & hip circumferences
- Completing surveys
- Completing activities that involve your child sitting, moving and walking at different paces
- Completing food recalls, where we ask what your child ate the day before
- We will also ask your child to drink special water that tracks how much energy they burn. Energy is tracked by collecting urine samples from your child several times after they drink this water.
Before the visit, we will send you two boxes with all of the supplies needed for the study. We pay for shipping, and you can set up a home pick-up to send the supplies back to us.
After the study visit, we will ask you and your child to do a few more things over the next week:
- We will ask your child to wear a Fitbit on their wrist and another activity monitor on their waist.
- We will schedule two video calls to complete two more food recalls.
- We will ask you to collect two more urine samples one week after the initial study visit.
- We will ask you to send back all materials and urine samples to our lab with a prepaid shipping label.
What will you receive?
- Once the activities above are completed and supplies and urine samples are sent back, we will send you a $250 gift card to thank you for your participation in the study.
Register to Participate: Down Syndrome Energy Expenditure and Weight-Related Behaviors Research Study (qualtrics.com)
The principal investigator (PI) for this study is Dr. Michele Polfuss, PhD, RN, CPNP-AC/PC, FAAN. Please feel free to contact Michele for more information at: (920) 470-2150 or [email protected] or see this website: https://uwm.edu/nursing/directory/polfuss-michele/ or Linkedin website: www.linkedin.com/in/michele-polfuss-7b421432.