All over the world, communities are finding ways to show their solidarity and protect the most vulnerable individuals from this unprecedented health challenge that we face with coronavirus. Neighbors check on each other from a safe distance, fitness instructors hold virtual classes to stay active, entire communities share joyful moments of song to pass time. These are not easy times.
For us in the Down syndrome community and our loved ones with 3 copies of chromosome 21, we too need to come together as a community on supporting and connecting with each other through this incredibly challenging period.
The coronavirus pandemic emphasizes the importance of our work at LuMind IDSC. Parents and caregivers are understandably worried about medical conditions that may make their loved ones vulnerable to this virus. We are steadfast in our mission to accelerate research to increase the availability of medical care options for people with Down syndrome, and empower families through education, connections, and support.
We continue to:
- trusted source of information for you and your family during these rapidly changing times. We are posting up-to-date information about COVID-19 as it relates to people with Down syndrome (as well as the latest evidence-based Down syndrome research).
- new medical advances through research focused on Alzheimer’s, sleep apnea, and independence that prevent individuals with Down syndrome from potentially being among the most vulnerable to health challenges like COVID-19 due to their medical complications.
- Provide the largest online Down syndrome community as we understand the critical role social media must play in our lives today to stay connected to each other, especially now with the need to stay at home and practice social distancing.
- As March 21 nears, many World Down Syndrome Day celebrations are and must be canceled due to the coronavirus. Experts tell us that 1 person with the virus can infect about 3 people, this is why social distancing is vital. However, we hope to come together as a virtual community to connect with one another during these isolating times, to raise our voices and to show the world how our loved ones with Down syndrome soar in life while overcoming the coronavirus together.
- That is why we invite you to break the isolation of social distancing and join our World Down Syndrome Day Virtual 3… 2… 1 challenge on March 21st:
- Be a Friend. Call, text or email 3 friends who might be alone, make sure they are safe or have what they need.
- Connect & Share. Go to @LuMindIDSC on Facebook and share 2 videos or pictures of you and your loved one with Down syndrome. Or share 2 things you want to celebrate about the people that make the Down syndrome community strong. Or share 2 ways you’re celebrating this World Down Syndrome Day. The point is to share, to connect. It is so important that we take the time to experience community now, more than ever and celebrate the EXTRAordinary lives of our loved ones with Down syndrome.
- Support our mission through LuMind IDSC World Down Syndrome Day Campaign. Make 1 gift between March 19th through March 23rd to LuMind IDSC and watch every dollar grow to four dollars with the 3:1 Match from a generous sponsor. Donate today.Now, more than ever, we need to do all we can to support each other as a community. Please reach out to our team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- We look forward to celebrating World Down Syndrome Day with you virtually on March 21st!
- Warm regards,
Chief Executive Officer
LuMind IDSC Foundation